Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Eggshell Storm

Well! That was a piddly thunderstorm. Now, as I say that, I suppose the sky will turn black and the power will go out. The local television network has been issuing dire warnings since earlier in the afternoon, and now, after some rumbles and a ten-minute downpour, there's nothing happening. Bleh. Which means we'll just end up having more steamy sauna weather.
I found out today that it's much easier to chop an egg in its shell by using the food processor than it is to do it by hand. Go figure. They make these things for a reason, right? I'm not sure Vincenzo notices the difference, but I sure do. I don't know why I didn't think of doing it that way for the last two eggs he ate; hopefully I'll remember next time.
In the meantime, I need to work on finishing and polishing a piece of short fiction for a friend.
This is a bit more disjointed than my normal posts, but my mind is elsewhere at the moment. I just got back from knit-night at Pocket Meadow Farm. Vincenzo was invited as a guest speaker, though for a guest speaker he had very little to say and instead chose to burrow under the paper towel in his travel box. He did, however, see fit to sneak out long enough to eat a bit of strawberry. Michelle totally fell in love with him and sat on the floor and talked to him--before anyone concludes that she's nuts, she's a delightful person and was treating him exactly the way I do, and I completely think it's important to talk to animals the same way one talks to people. She even contributed to his delinquency by donating a giant fish tank that formerly housed her red eared sliders. Thank you, tons, Michelle!
Kim, the poor dear, was dreadfully embarrassed by her mother's behavior, which only made things worse with us babying the turtle and acting like he was a cute little kid who needed to be spoiled. She was sweet and brought banana bread--yummy!--but I didn't find out if it was her own recipe or one from a book. I'll have to pester her about it next time I see them, which should be Saturday at the KIP Day at the park.
On the downside, one of the ladies present at the meeting said she's going through some.. unpleasantness. I don't want to say too much, but I will say that I hope things work out for her and that she knows we're rooting for her.
I suggested a sweater design contest with turtles as the focus, though I don't know that turtles would relish wearing sweaters even though they're unable to regulate their own body temperatures--cold-blooded, remember? I need to think about it some more, but I have a few ideas bouncing around in my head. I'll post more about it sometime soon, I promise. :)

1 comment:

RaeS said...

I'm glad things are working out so far with the turtle. It's good to know that at least some of his problems are fixable.

Yum! I love banana bread.

I hope your weather improves and that you're friend will be okay.