Sunday, March 23, 2008

Death Of A Laptop

For the past five years I've been the proud parent of a Hewlett-Packard laptop. Little did I know that planned obsolescence would make this relationship short indeed; after three years of smooth running, Sanar needed a new hard drive after it developed a bad sector. Six months later, the CD drive needed to be replaced. That's not bad for such an aged machine! Now, though, it's time to bid Sanar farewell and make way for the next generation.
Sometime around the first week of April, the replacement will arrive and Sanar will be given a fitting... erm... disposal. I'm not sure how to do this, but I'm considering triple bagging with trash bags and backing over it with the car. I've read that things like laptops and cellphones shouldn't just be tossed out in the trash because people can find all kinds of things out about previous owners, and that it's probably a good idea to rip the innards out before you... just in case.
For those of you who care to keep informed, my presence will be sporadic until the replacement arrives and we get used to each other. Take care and enjoy the Easter sugar rush and spring weather! :)

2 comments:

RaeS said...

Awww... It always sucks when a computer has to be replaced. You can recycle your laptop here: http://www.recyclealaptop.com/

I hope you're up and running with the new one soon. *hugs*

theyarnwhisperer said...

I think the running over it with you car sounds like incredible fun! Perhaps I've been forced to watch Smash Lab with the hubby too much.