Thursday, February 17, 2011

Boxing

I started boxing up my things a few days ago in preparation for the epic journey. It's kind of strange how about eighty percent of my life is tied up in books. Awhile ago, I started trying to reassemble the more beloved books from my childhood, like Blueberries For Sal and The Sky Is Full Of Stars. When I started packing things into the first box, I realized that if I actually read about half the books I own, I'd be a really well read person.. the combination of things like Ovid and Chaucer is probably not that unusual, but throw in a few things like Dragonology and Good Faerie/Bad Faerie, and things start to become a little more tangled.
I've arrived at the conclusion that the ratio of boxes will end up being something like 2:1... until we start thinking about yarn.
So far I'm likely to end up with one box kitchen stuff, one box of clothes, four boxes of books, two boxes of yarn, and gods alone know what other impedimenta will manifest when it comes time to start loading the car. 
The last time I moved, it was literally around the corner. I've lived in the same house for twenty-five years. The prospect of moving household to become part of another household is a little daunting, but I know the various parties involved will do everything they can to make the transition as smooth as possible. 
The weather has also changed rather dramatically. The past week was mostly somewhere around freezing temperatures, but now its up to 70. I'm sitting outside as I write this, enjoying the sunshine and watching a single honeybee look for something appetizing. The plants are trying to bud, but I think they'll be in for a nasty shock when they realize it's still February.
A philosophical question has been tugging at my subconscious: At what point does something change from being "yours" to being "ours"? Is it a gradual shift in perception? Or is it something that happens all at once?  

No comments: