Saturday, August 29, 2009

Ugh.

12 o’clock high: Noise from the university football game and tailgate party, but muffled by the box fan and air conditioner.
3:30 PM: It’s absolutely quiet. Even the cicadas seemed to be snoozing, perhaps anticipating the impending flood of unnatural noise.
4:30 PM: Noise from the park is audible over the box fan, air conditioner, and Yours Truly, Johnny Dollar. It appears I crowed prematurely. If it continues to increase in volume, I shall unearth headphones and continue to listen to Yours Truly, Johnny Dollar while knitting.
7:56 PM: Now clearly audible over air conditioner, box fan, and Johnny Dollar. Mom and I have to shout at each other to be heard from five feet away. Forget the headphones, I want earplugs.
8:48 PM: A brief lull, followed by throbbing bass and someone who clearly can't sing wailing into a microphone. Supposedly only another twelve minutes of this nonsense.

In an attempt to do something constructive during today's... lovely activities, I cast on for a pair of Rivendell socks and was promptly stymied by the third row of the pattern. I understand how to do the clustered stitches, but I'm not quite sure what to do at the end of Row 3. Theoretically, you can divide the cuff of the sock into three needles of 21 stitches, and after knitting two rows of the ribbing, you start working Chart A (or Chart 1, if you prefer). Row 3 goes something like this: Cluster four stitches, follow the pattern for the next 14 stitches, cluster seven stitches, work 14 stitches, cluster another seven stitches, and so on until you get to the end of the row. But what happens next? Is it cluster three stitches or is it cluster seven by picking up the first four stitches of the following row? I'm so confused! I'll refrain from speculating on whether or not the volume of the Awful Din has affected the way my synapses work....

3 comments:

Elva Undine said...

Having knit Rivendell (and LOVING those socks, btw) I remember some confusion about this...if you want me to look back and see what I can remember, send me a PM on Ravelry and I'll see what I can do. You're a smart knitter though, I'm sure you'll figure out a solution.
And of course, my condolences on the unnecessary noise pollution.

the Lady said...

My sympathies on the noise. God I hate noise that you just can't get away from. Sorry I can't help with the socks.

RaeS said...

Ugh! My sympathies. Such bad planning on the part of the concert people and the people who permitted them.

Good luck with the Rivendell socks. Those are really beautiful socks. I would think that it's cluster 3, but I've never knit them, so I don't really know.