Wednesday, April 2, 2008

You shampoo, you!

28 oz olive oil
6 oz coconut oil
6 oz castor oil
4 oz wheat germ oil
5.83 oz lye
1 tbsp honey added when raw soap has reached light trace--honey speeds things up, so be careful.
14 oz beer

Pulled this together this evening after a lively discussion of shampoo-related bars on Ravelry; this is all stuff I have stashed in the pantry or laundry room. It's already been run through the Mystic Mountain lye calculator, so I'm fairly certain it's safe. I'll leave some beer out overnight to go flat before I take a stab at making it; pictures will be posted sometime during the week; if the weather is good tomorrow, I will definitely make this stuff. Frangrance oils are left out, though if anyone plans to add any, I wouldn't do more than about 1 or 2% of total volume of the oils (44 oz x .02= .88 oz, which is about 1 tbsp and 2 tsp).

No comments: